As we head into the holiday weekend, remember that you’ve come a long way since our first day. It’ll be easy to give into temptation and consume a LARGE dose of burgers, hot dogs, chips and salsa (or even worse…cheese dip), baked beans, corn bread and other “not so healthy” items the next three days.
Ask yourself this though, are eating those things worth the guilt you’ll feel on Tuesday?
It’s especially hard to behave on holiday weekends. I go through it too…and it’s NOT easy. But there are things you can do to survive the weekend that will not only keep you on track, but save you from the guilt and the extra hard work to burn those calories off. It will be important to remember drink A LOT of water. As you know, we tend to graze on holiday weekends. This will curb hunger and keep you hydrated in the hot sun.
If you’re looking for something that will satisfy the backyard BBQ cravings, without the guilt, try some of these healthier alternatives (you can find the recipes online):
- · Chicken or turkey burgers on a whole wheat bun with thin avocado slices
- · Grilled portobello mushroom with lettuce and tomato
- · Fish or shrimp tacos with a lettuce wrap shell (low carb…YAY!)
- · Grilled chicken breast (light on the sauce)
- · 3 bean chili
- · Grilled salmon with a pinch of rosemary, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon
- · Sweet potato
- · Grilled asparagus
- · Veggie tray items
- · Baked chips and fresh (low sodium homemade) salsa
- · Hummus dip with cucumber slices
- Raspberries and blackberries
- Add Greek yogurt to any of the above for extra protein
As for drinking…hey…I like to think I’m realistic here. Just take it easy on the beer, fruity drinks, margaritas, daiquiris and sangria this weekend. Lots of calories + lots of sugar = LOTS OF GUILT on weigh-in day. Stick to vodka and spiced rum if you’re going to drink. As always, please drink responsibly and have a safe and happy holiday weekend.
P.S. Don't forget registration is from September 18th to September 21, 2014 for the: