Tuesday, March 12, 2013

My 2013 Lifestyle Change

My name is Nate Schwartz, owner of Shape Shifters Fitness in West Melbourne, FL.  This is my story....Due to family struggles for most of 2012 I was severely depressed.  I could barely get out of bed each day.  The trials and tribulations of life finally seemed to have brought me down permanently.  I was already 35 lbs overweight but now I gained 20 lbs on top of that and was continuing to eat horrible.  I was not fitting in most of my clothes anymore.  Worst yet I was continuing to gain each week.  Being a personal trainer this was beginning to impact my business.  After all, how can you motivate and train someone if you're a mess?

Since moving to West Melbourne, FL located in Brevard County I have met some of the nicest and caring people I have ever met in my life.  They were generally concerned about my well-being and also hoping I pull through my personal family struggles.  

While laying in bed, in darkness, (I had my windows covered.) on a beautiful sunny afternoon.  It was these very people and my Mother which made me ask myself the question, "What if I lived 2013 to complete perfection?".  Since everyone has their own idea of perfection or not knowing what society's perfection actually is, I decided, I would determine how and what perfection is in my life.  Meaning, each day I would get up and make the right choices on: what to eat, where and what to spend my money, and lastly people I surround myself with.  In addition, over the years I have heard about so much about doing things to get out of your "comfort zone" so I decided to make a personal commitment to get out of my comfort zone in 2013.  I wondered how much I would achieve or how much my life would change for the better if I would live 2013 to the best of my knowledge and ability.  Maybe I would be an inspiration to others to help them change their lives for the better.

On January 1, 2013, I set out on my quest.  I decided the best way to approach this goal is to simply take it day by day and choice by choice.  First, I threw out all the bad foods in my house and replaced them with healthy foods.  How can you make a bad choice if there is no bad choice around?  Second, I reviewed all my bills and listed everything in an excel spreadsheet and calculated everything out to the day.  This made it register in my head on how much money I need to earn each day to cover my bills.  Third, I thought about all the people in my life and how each of them influenced or contributed to it throughout the years.  This might seem cold to some, but being a nice person, I get taken advantage of very easily so I decided it was best to put a no tolerance policy in place for those I even had to question if they were bringing "good" into my life.   I simply stopped associating with those who did not influence my life positively.   Mainly these were a lot of acquaintance or "happy hour" type friends.  Lastly, I thought about things I could do to get out of my comfort zone.

Fast forward to today, March 12, 2013.  I have lost 28.4 lbs and continue to lose an average of 2.5 lbs per week.  My finances have improved significantly.  I am sleeping better.  Because of my weight loss and positive outlook I am inspiring my clients which is helping my business grow.  Most importantly I see the glass half full inside of half empty, sunshine instead of darkness, and opportunity instead of failure.

To get out of my comfort zone I joined the Melbourne Chamber of Commerce and started attending events and mixers, some of which I had to stand up (without prior notice) and go before my peers and speak about my business.  Being a true introvert this was an extremely big step and continues to be work in progress. On February 6, 2013 I had a 1 year anniversary ribbon cutting at Shape Shifters Fitness.




For my friends of Brevard County which ultimately inspired me I have been making donations to local charities whenever possible to assist them in raising money.  Quite often I donate gift certificates for free personal training sessions at Shape Shifters Fitness to charity auctions.  Actually to arrange a donation, I can be reached on my mobile at 321-474-0534. 

I created this blog to share my story as my journey continues.  I will share nutrition tips, inspiring stories, and accomplishments of myself and my clients.  You may also view highlights of 2013 as the year unfolds by viewing my Facebook page:

Nate Schwartz from Shape Shifters Fitness

My business could always use more exposure so I would be grateful to people that "Like" Shape Shifters Fitness business Facebook page below:

Shape Shifters Fitness in West Melbourne "The Body Transformation Studio"

I need to run for now but I'll be back soon.

1 comment:

  1. Now, THAT's inspiring! I love your commitment to progress and your open-mindedness =)

    ReplyDelete